Saturday, August 15, 2009

Colorado is rad.

I’m in love. In love with Colorado, its huge sky, never-ending mountains and beautiful people. Now that I’m back in NY, even though I’ve missed it, I feel the need to run away back to Colorado and its sweet climbing. It’s a dream.

Fist things first, Andrew Tower is a wonderful host. I had a blast in CO.Staying in ManCamp, sleeping in random houses and climbing for 6 days. Brilliant.

Colorado welcomed me with friends, incredible climbing, booze and dancing.

I arrived on Friday and Saturday I watched as dudes played climbing Golf. Twelve 5.12s in one day. My day started with falling 15 feet off the top of a 5.12a on Anarchy Wall. BWT (aka Les) gave me a nice soft catch and got me psyched and scared shit less all at the same time. I refused to fall off anything else after that for the rest of the day.

We climbed all through Wednesday, which was dedicated to a rest day and a very own Colorado’s Whiskey Wednesday.

Andrew introduced me to his awesome female friends Cary, Jamie and Bekki. Jamie and Caryn instantly were recognized as the part of the tribe. Girls know how to crush and be badasses. They put me through a falling boot camp at a local Gym, by making me scale up a wall, and then making me let go of the last hold and take a whipper. I was voted the loudest screamer at the gym. Fuck it, I was so scared my ears blew out and hands shook FOR EVA! Every time I refused to let go or tried to down climb, they gave me a little bit more slack. I had no choice, but let go and become comfortable with falling off shit. It took some time, and I'm sure I will still think about it and my body will freak out, but now I feel in control of my falling fear.

Nikki, Joey…you don’t even know what I have in store for you, ladies. Just wait.

On the trip I’ve met so many people that I look up to, to discover that all of them are awesome, normal, funny, dedicated and psyched on climbing. I did meet Lynn Hill. I had to throw that one in there. She’s a legend and my personal favorite. I introduced myself, shook her hand, and admired from a far.

On the trip, I also fell in love with sport climbing. I was stoked to boulder my face off the whole duration of the trip, but since most my friends are sport climbers, I sport climbed. It’s beautiful, fluid and aggressive. Honestly, I love all sorts of climbing, as long as it’s climbing. Trad scares me, but only because I'm not familiar with it, and don’t know how to place gear. I will learn in time and will spend my afternoons high off the ground eating peanut butter sandwiches. You’ll see.

I need to wait until the dust of my excitement settles down in my brain and I can offer more detailed summary of the trip, for right now, I miss you Colorado-NY I love you, but you’re bringing me down.

<3

Aleks

No comments:

Post a Comment