Friday, August 28, 2009

LadyCrusher that lived on 4 continents




Meet Jamie Siers.

Her grandfather killed a bear. With his bear hands. Almost. Her grandmother gardens, kills her own meat, rocks hard and is a total bad ass. However, meet Jamie. She’s a rad ladycrusher that I met thanks to Andrew Tower and his crew in Colorado.


Jamie does things with peace corps. She pretty much saves lives, and tries to make people’s existence better. She’s great.

Miss Siers came to us from Minneapolis, but went to school in Iowa. Or maybe I got it all wrong and really she is an alien from another planet who loves climbing, her friends, people in need and her barely alive car. Her car pretty much rules. Stitched up by zip ties and good fortune that babe gets her around better than anything.

Tell you what; we are going to do an interview with miss JS. This way I can start getting it all wrong and she can make up whatever she wants.


Where are you from, Jamie?

Born in Coon Rapids I started my sorry existence in a trailer park… sweeeet….. moved to Iowa early on in life but most my childhood memories take place in Northern Minnesota (or Nor’dern Minnesooohhda)…. Went to high school in Cedar Falls, Iowa, college in Iowa City, Iowa (where I started to climb, yeah yeah!!! Check Alpinist 27 in the “Climbing Life” section for a bit of insight into Iowa climbing by Tara Kramer) and am now in Denver, CO and a part of a new trendy group of recently graduated master’s students that are unemployed…


How did you end up in Colorado, hanging out with all those ?
I had some choices on grad schools and it turned out it was the east coast or westward bound and because of my climbing ‘habit’ I chose the Front Range lifestyle. As far as hanging out with that band of Okie-fun-kids in Golden, that was semi-serendipitous, although Cassidy Hill (the ‘C’ is for ‘cool-cat’) had a lot to do with my intro to drinking and climbing being so intertwined….


Do you love climbing more than sex or do you love climbing?
ummmmm…. I don’t agree to the premise of the question! Sex I guess can be a lifestyle and such a lifestyle would encompass many of the aspects of climbing… you may end up really sore, there may be quite a few bruises, you may find it less enjoyable if you have to do it alone, you’d probably have to take some rest days, and there may be just as much equipment involved, but I’m not sure you can compare them…. Plus who would want to choose? I want a day book-ended by sex with a lot of climbing in between! I figure many people can relate….

People who choose sex hands down don’t really understand climbing and people who choose climbing clearly are bitter about not being very good in bed…

How do you like saving people?
Hahaha… saving people is not half as gratifying as totally fucking the world up so I feel a bit left out…just kidding…. although I have to admit that I fuck up shit as much as I save people… anyone who tells you different is flat-out lying! My latest attempt at ‘saving people’ is in the process of crashing and burning…. It’s a bit of a depressing crap-shoot, but that makes successes really REALLY important and gratifying… it’s definitely humbling work… in that way it’s a lot like climbing


If you had one wish to make something different in your life, would you wish it?
Probably not. I’d end up making one of those wishes that seems like a good idea at the time but ends up messing my life up in other ways…. Plus, other than depressing crap-shoots, and being basically broke, there is not much more I can ask from life at the moment… I’m feeling pretty great right now


Why are you so damn awesome?
Many, many reasons…. Let me count some ways:

-my car and the handy way I can keep it from exploding….
-my terrible taste in movies (including romantic comedies and inspirational sports films)
-my plastic allergy…. don’t ask
-minnesota nice (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_nice)
-my really lame answers to sweet blog questionnaires….


When will you come to NY?
There is something coming to mind about a pig and how long it will take them to start flying….

just kidding…

Tell me more.

I was never in the Peace Corps…. But I know a lot of them. I bake my own bread. Other than a nice red wine my drink of choice is whiskey on the rocks, just like grandma (haha classy, I know) I’ve lived on 4 continents. My favorite place I have ever climbed is Indian Creek. As a recent graduate and the semi-proud owner of 3 degrees and 2 certificates, I just want to say that I have learned just as much, probably more, from my experiences outside of academia than I ever have in it.... and a lot of those experiences were climbing ones.... go figure..... Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyyyyyyyeaaaaaaa
ahhhh!
- Show quoted text -
--
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment